Senior Communications Officer
How we work
Our ethos runs through everything we do. We are proud of our values which shape not just our work with clients, but the way the company is structured and run.
We support our clients by using sound, evidence-based thinking and deep knowledge of the sector to add value by what we do, often creating bespoke programmes of work. It means that whoever works for us must enjoy the challenge of variety, be flexible in their approach to clients, and be active in turning our ethos into practice.
GGI develops significant original thinking, is one of the most significant publishers in the UK in the field of public sector governance and is continually developing knowledge through our client work. This needs curating and making widely available, both within GGI and, as appropriate, externally as open source materials.
We have recently reorganised to focus our work even more towards impact for our clients. Our work is now orientated around service lines, for example core governance or engagement, and framing our work about the difference we can make to clients rather than describing the particular methods we use to provide our services. We have developed a matrix management approach which values both the holistic development of GGI and at the same time the value we add to clients.
During this first year of the pandemic the team have needed to be flexible thinking, solution-orientated and hard-working. The GGI team is one to join if you enjoy rolling your sleeves up and diving in, not fazed by ambiguity and are able to multi-task. You will get to work alongside senior colleagues both within GGI and in our clients. GGI is a strongly developmental environment for activist learners.
GGI is committed to ethical, inclusive and legally-compliant recruitment and employment practices. We encourage and support applications from candidates without discrimination and operate an equal opportunity workspace.
The Good Governance Institute (GGI) is seeking a senior communications officer to help support client work, relationship building and events.
This exciting opportunity comes at a time when the GGI is focused on being a digital by default organisation. The person will assist in the delivery of key elements of client communications including events, communications materials, media work, digital communications, internal communications and project management.
The person will also support the delivery of key GGI workstreams including communications for the GGI Academy and key GGI digital channels.
- Lead on the development of plans and delivering high-quality communications for a range of GGI clients. Including:
- Event management (including digital)
- Media/press development
- Relationship building
- Internal communications
- Lead the project management for client work
- Content creation for the full range of digital and other communications channels
- Work alongside the Director of Communications to ensure all GGI channels are aligned in content and messaging
- Arrange and facilitate meetings as required
- Maintain up to date records in Zoho in relation to all engagement and events and contacts whether physical or virtual, recording communications, RSVPs, attendance, etc.
- Knowledge and experience of delivering successful communications activities for both external and internal audiences
- Experience of supporting complex multi-channel communications campaigns with multiple audiences
- Working knowledge of running events, including digital
- Excellent writing skills to be able to create content and proof read final communications
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of CRM systems (knowledge of Zoho would be advantageous but training will be given)
- Knowledge of graphic design
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Have good knowledge of Google products (Google Docs, etc)
- Experience of working with public bodies.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Enthusiastic and positive about achieving goals
- Demonstrate attention to detail and good customer service
- Friendly and considerate
- Able to manage, control budgets and recording systems
- Able to multi-task and think laterally
- Able to use initiative
- Confident communicator with all levels of staff, external contacts and suppliers
- Able to work both independently and part of a team
- Able to be flexible, prioritise, forward plan and cope with ever changing priorities
- Open to new ideas and possibilities and able to find new ways of achieving goals
Due to the nature of this role you must be able to work some unsociable hours, during event periods.
At GGI we pride ourselves on providing extensive support and a positive learning experience for those who join the team. GGI maintains an ambitious and hardworking culture and strives to support the belief that there are no limits for the potential of individuals. We have a holistic view of development which is underpinned by the accompanying diagram describing the skills and mindset for members of the GGI team.
We expect the most from our staff and we do our best to be an excellent employer. GGI salaries are good and the organisational ethical ethos strong.
Open to applicants throughout the UK. All GGI 26 staff are home-based and we run as a virtual organisation. Subject to current public health restrictions, there is usually regular UK-wide travel to support client work and we have a corporate workspace in central London which is open as a place to work with colleagues. We provide good IT equipment and a company phone. We will support you working at home through ongoing assessments in line with good Health and Safety practice. We are just upgrading our software packages around document and project management, our CRM and team communications processes as we go through a major digital development programme.
Salary starts at £33,502 on an incremental scale to £36,311.
GGI is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.